UNIQUE APARTMENT WITH HUGE SUNNY ROOF TERRACE AND RESERVED PARKING, OFFERING THE PERFECT COMBINATION OF TRADITIONAL CHARM AND CONTEMPORARY PANACHE!
This exquisite home is situated in a former school, dating from 1924 and designed by the renowned Dutch architect Dirk Roosenburg, which underwent a total transformation in recent years. Though thoroughly updated for modern living, the property has retained its essential structures and historic character.
Located in the desirable Bezuidenhout neighbourhood, mere minutes from major motorways as well as both the Laan van NOI and Central railway stations, with multiple train, tram, and light rail connections. The delightful shops and restaurants in the nearby Theresiastraat, the city centre, parks, and the seaside are all within easy reach.
The main entrance opens into a grand front hall where echoes of the former school can be seen in the tall windows and classic yellow and black tiles decorating the walls and floors. From here a distinctive stairway adorned with wrought iron railings ascends to the first floor.
Past the front door of the apartment is a spacious hallway laid with natural stone flooring, where there is storage for coats, and a modern lavatory with washbasin.
Original doors inset with glass panes open to the former chemistry laboratory, now an enormous living room measuring some 48m2 with 3.3m high ceilings, and bathed in natural light from the three oversized windows fitted with HR++ glass.
Standout features include the original, lovingly restored cabinets, which give the space a special ambiance and the gorgeous herringbone-patterned oak parquet floors. The huge adjacent split-level kitchen is outfitted with a beautiful central island topped with natural stone, a gas cooktop, and the dishwasher. An attractive wall of cupboards houses ample storage space plus more integrated appliances including a combination oven/microwave, built-in coffee maker, and the fridge/freezer.
Through double doors leading to a built-in storage cupboard and the laundry/central heating area is the main bedroom with a walk-in closet, and a second bedroom/study. The sumptuous bathroom is outfitted with Italian fixtures including a whirlpool bath, large walk-in shower, double vanity, under-floor heating, and heated towel rail.
Off the hallway is a stairway and landing leading to a vast roof terrace, offering a stunning view over the skyline. A professionally installed green sedum roof borders the southwest-facing terrace, with wooden decking, a storage cupboard, and water tap.
Included is a reserved off-street parking place behind the building, which is accessible via a remote-controlled gate from the street. Directly adjacent to the parking place is a private storage unit with plenty of space for bicycles.
Facts, figures, and features:
- interior space approximately 117 m˛
- spacious roof terrace (ca. 55m˛) with green roof (sedum) and decking made from sustainable NobelWood
- reserved off-street parking space; private storage unit with electricity on the enclosed grounds behind the building; communal storage area
- leasehold, ground rent (canon) has been bought off in perpetuity
- active homeowners’ association, monthly contribution € 184.81
- multi-year maintenance plan and collective homeowners insurance
- extensive electrical circuitry plus earth leakage switch
- heating via combination central heating /boiler (Intergas HR 22/28)
- fibre-optic broadband internet available (from October 2021);
- given the age of the property, older construction and materials disclaimers will be included in the purchase agreement
Read full description